The home of recently deceased Winston-Salem legend Phil Hanes has been donated to Wake Forest University. It is currently inaccessible to the public as it is located down Chatham Farm Road, a private lane. The blog drives past the entrance on Robinhood Road every day,, and yearns for a glimpse of this property. The house, built in 1930, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is referred to as both the Middleton House and the Chatham-Hanes House. It took the blog some digging, but this property is even more interesting than its 1930 construction date implies. From an NRHP Workshop, the blog learned:
Middleton House, Forsyth County, North Carolina (February 28, 2000). The Winston-Salem home of Martha Thurmond Chatham, widow of one of state’s most prominent textile industrialists, has been recognized for its design achievement and association with the early historic preservation movement. The relocated Federal-style plantation house (ca. 1829) and its gracefully designed five-acre site resulted from the 1930-1933 collaboration of prominent country estate designer Ellen Biddle Shipman of New York and local restoration architect William Roy Wallace (who had worked under Philadelphia’s Charles Barton Keen).
A fundamentally different American economy?
2 days ago